All About Jharkhand | Useful for JPSC exam
- special features
- Geography & climate
- Tourists spot
- Flora and fauna
- People & culture
- Social infrastructure
- Icons of jharkhand
- Problems faced by Jharkhand
The name Jharkhand comes from the sanskrit “Jharikhanda” which is the ancient name of the region dense forest-Jharikhand.
1772 – Paharia revolt led by Tilka against British and landlords
1832 – Kol revolts
1855 – Santhali revolts
1890 – Independence movement led by BIRSA MUNDA
1914 – Tana movement
1928 – Demand for Jharkhand rejected by Simon commission
1938 – Jaipal Singh formed Adivasi Mahasabha
2000 – On 2nd of Aug Indian Parliament passed Bihar Reorganization Bill 2000 – On 15th Nov Jharkhand came into being
- During Mughal Period Jharkhand region was called ‘Kukara’.
- It’s capital is Ranchi.
- Here exist more than 32 languages . Primary ones are Hindi,Nagpuri ,Urukh ,Ho,Munda,Santhali,Bangali.
- Some of the highly industrialized cities such as Jamshedpur,
- Dhanbad, Bokaro & Ranchi are located here.
- It’s mineral rich state of India.
- Population 2,69,09,428
- Sex Ratio 941 per 1000 males
- Density 338 persons / sq km
- No. of Districts 24
- No. of Villages 32620
- Ranchi – It is known as ‘city of waterfalls’.Rock Garden,Sun temple,Jagannathpur temple ,Tagore hills.
- Netarhat – It is known as ‘Switzerland of Jharkhand’.
- Hazaribagh – ‘Hazaribagh National park’ contains 14 Tiger, 25 panther & 400 sambhars.
- Dhanbad – Popular Tourist Spot are Chati Govindpur ,Meva, Panchet, Jhangi Mountain and many more.
- Garwa – It is famous for Saurat mountain. Other attraction are it’s various Falls.
- Bokaro – Jawaharlal Nehru zoological park, babudih ,chandra pura etc .
Geography & climate
- It is located in Eastern India.
- It’s neighbourers are U.P ,Chattisgarh,Bihar,Orissa and West Bengal.
- Major Rivers are Koel, Damodar, Ganga,Swarna Rekha, Son and Sankh.
- 29 % of Land is Under Forest.
- Different Types of Soils are Red Soil, Sandy Soil, Micacious Soil, Black soil & Laterite Soil.
- Forest contains Rare White Tigers & Asian Elephants.
- Forest contain rare White Tigers & Asian Elephant .
- ‘Hazaribaag National park’ contains 38 Tigers ,59 Parthers ,400 Sambhars & 539 Elephants.
- Different types of soils are red soil, sandy soil, black soil , laterite soil.
- Major rivers are Koel,Damodar,Ganga,Swarnarekha,Son,Sekha.
Flora and fauna
- Jharkhand is very rich in flora and fauna.
- Betla National Park covers an area of 250 km.
- It has Rare white tigers & asian elephants plus sambars,wild boars,python,blue bull and many others mammals.
- In 1974, It was declared Under Project Tiger Reserve.
- Hazaribagh Wildlife Sanctuary also contains rarerest species.
People & culture
- Jharkhand is a hub of various tribes.Primary ones are Kurukh,Santhali,Munda,Ho,Kharia.
- Large number of Jharkhandi’s are there in Assam , Andaman &Nicobar Islands,Orissa, W.B, M.P ,Chattisgarh.
- Religious statics are Hindu – 68.7%, Muslims- 13.8% ,sarna-13%, christians-7%.
- Various dances are
- Jhumar dance – Celebrated during harvest season. It shows happiness of man.
- Paika dance – Celebrated during festival and weddings. Dance is performed by males with tradional weapons like shield & sword. Musical Instruments are Nagara,Dhola and shehnai.
- Phagua – Celebrated during holi in which dancers throw coloured powder on each other.
- Chau dance – It is the chief Tribal dance of Jharkhand.
- Major festivals are Karma,Ram Navami, Diwali,Holi,Durga Puja,Id, Christmas and Nayakhani .
- Jharkhand is No. 1 in production of Iron Ore, Copper Ore , Mica, Asbestos, Sillimanite and Uranium in India.
- Also It is 3rd in Coal, 6th in Gold, 8th in Graphites in India.
- Largest steel plant in Asia is Bokaro steel plant.
- 1st methane gas well in the country.
- Biggest Explosive factory in India was in Gomeo.
- 1st Steel and Iron factory was set in jamshedpur .
|Bit, mesra PREMIER ENGG. COLLEGE OF INDIA. IT WAS ESTABLISHED IN 1972.|
|Bit, sindri PREMIER ENGG. COLLLEGE OF STATE. ESTABLISHED IN 1949.|
|Xlri ,jamshedpur REPUTED MANAGEMENT INSTITUTE OF OUR COUNTRY. IT’S RANK IS 2ND JUST AFTER IIM, AHMEDABAD.|
|central institute of psychiatry, kanke|
- Jharkhand has a very salubrious Climate.
- Central Institute of Psychiatry is located in Ranchi.
- Literacy rate is 59.6% .
- There are 4 University and 1 Deemed University.
- A dominating force in men & women Hockey Team.
- Major games are Hockey, Football & Cricket.
- Dhoni Captain of Indian Cricket team is from Ranchi.
|Beautiful sunrise in Netarhat|
|Patratu valley ,Ranchi|
|Patratu valley ,Ranchi|
|forest part of hazaribagh|
|Betla national park|
|Baba dham, deoghar|
|g.e.l church ,jharkhand|
|traditional tribal dance|
ICONS OF JHARKHAND
|BIRSA MUNDA||Great freedom fighter of India. A War for freedom was led by him.|
|JAIPAL SINGH MUNDA | Founding father of jharkhand. He was the captain of gold medalist indian hockey team in 1928.|
|KARTIK ORAON | He was the minister for aviation and communication ,govt. of india.He was founding director of hec,ranchi.|
|Cardinal telesphore placide toppo|
|DR RAMDAYAL MUNDA | HE IS THE EX VICE CHANCELOR OF RANCHI UNIVERSITY. HE WAS ALSO A LEADING PERSON IN JHARKHAND MOVEMENT.|
|M.S.DHONI | HE IS THE CAPTAIN OF INDIA.HE LED HIS COUNTRY TO WIN THE T-20 WORLD CUP.|
|Priyanka Chopra SHE IS THE BOLLYWOOD ACTRESS FROM JAMSHEDPUR|
|THE LEADING HOCKEY PLAYERS FROM JHARKHAND. THE PART OF HOCKEY TEAM WINNING GOLD MEDAL IN COMMONWEALTH GAMES IN 2002.|
- NAXALITE THREAT –A grave threat for peacefulness.
- INDUSTRILIAZATION – It is a Blessing as well as Curse.
- EXTINCTION – Standing at the verge of loosing its Many Traditions,Languages and Culture.